Saturday, July 9, 2011

7 years between you and me

“You’ve been here for long, you’ve seen me grow. You’ve fought at times but your love, you’ve always shown.

Sometimes you offered a candy and sometimes you gave me a kiss. You’re delightful, my precious sis.”

Yes, physically there is a seven year age gap between my sis and me. But emotionally we’re one and the same.

My sister Rizwana is the life of our party. By party I mean all the crazy times we’ve spent together doing things like dancing late at night on Bollywood songs, giving wacky nicknames to each other et al.

When we’re together, the age difference seems to just vanish. And there is no way we can figure out whether it’s her who is the fun loving one or it is me who is the matured one.

Because for as much as we have fun, we also lament our sentiments on issues that affect us and discuss them for hours together.


It’s such a pleasure for me to see my sis after a long, tiring day at college. She always greets me at the door with her beautiful smile and her adorable voice calling out my name.

At times when we’re both heading home at approximately the same time from our respective railway stations, one of us makes it a point to meet the other in the same ladies compartment.

On such occasions, we make several calls to decide exactly which part of the platform to wait at and which one of the two compartments to get into.

This might sound absurd and it won’t be surprising even if it does. But small and simple events like these have created a memory that is so fresh and pure that no force in the world can erase it from our minds.

My sister is 25 and in a couple of years she’ll get married. She’ll go to her new home and develop new fond memories with her relatives.

But just like time has been unable to distance us, I’m confident that even physical space will fail at this Herculean task

This is a little something that I dedicate to my joyous, fun filled, restless and energetic sis.

Thanks for all these precious memories,

Writer of
7 years between you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment